Saturday, March 16, 2013

Suitcase Saturday

This morning I got to experience a part of the Haitian culture that was brand new to me--our team went to the open market in Archaie. It was awesome! I bought a couple of coconuts and shared it with the kids at the school. I also bought some sugar cane for team members to try. Some people bought coffee. We passed on the opportunities to purchase items like live chickens and turkeys, pig snouts, fish, etc. There were so many people. I hope I never forget the sights, sounds, and smells of the Haitian market! 

While we were at the market, I was reminded once again of how blessed we are to have a long-term relationship with the people of Merotte. Several times during our visit, I would hear my name being called. I ran into several children who recognized me, which was very cool. But even cooler than that was being stopped by two different women. I recognized their faces, but I didn't know them. I figure they must be members of Christ the King. They greeted me with warm hugs. It was a blessing to be sure. Another blessing came when a woman was wearing glasses and recognized members of our team who had given her those glasses. She was so excited to see us there! God is good! All the time!

When we arrived at the church a little later this morning, the work frenzy was on! The men were hard at work mixing cement and passing buckets up the chain on the ladders all the way to the waiting men at the top who continued to pass it until the bucket was poured on the roof. The empty buckets would then be thrown to the edge where a man would put them on a rope and slide them to the man at the other end of the rope to catch them. And all of this at a staggering pace! It was a sight to see! I talked with one the young men (Bebe) who used to go to school at Christ the King. Since the school currently only goes through the 6th grade and he is in 7th, he has to go to school somewhere else. I told him that with the roof being done (adding grades to the school)that he could return to school here in the fall. He smiled so big and said, "Yes, I already know that!" He is so excited to be going back to school at Christ the King. Putting the roof on the second story is the fulfillment of a dream to have a school from 3 year olds through 9th grade and a trade school running as well. It was truly an exciting day to see it all coming together. 

On the inside, the work of taking an inventory of all our medical and eyeglass supplies and then packing them away in suitcases was also quite a production. I don't know that it was as impressive as the roof work, but it was a huge task! There were suitcases everywhere with items to give the school, things to put away for our next visit, and things to send with each of our translators to use in their respective ministries. 

We are looking forward to our time in worship tomorrow with our brothers and sisters in Christ. We will be presenting a gift to them from Lord of Life--a cross for the inside of their church. This will be their first cross on the inside, and I am pleased that it is coming to them as a gift from our church family. 

Right after church tomorrow, we will make our way to the airport to begin our long trek home. We will overnight in Ft. Lauderdale and then be on our way home Monday morning. I will try to post a blog from Ft. Lauderdale, but just in case it doesn't happen then, but looking for our final post on Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning. 

Lisa :)
On Behalf of March Team Haiti

1 comment:

  1. So many awesome events in one day!! Love to and prayers for you all. From Stacy.

    ReplyDelete