Friday, January 11, 2013

My thoughts about Fridays in Haiti

Friday, January 11, 2013

Fridays in Haiti are always hard on me, and probably on our team as well! I think it is because we know it is our last full day with the people of Merotte. I know for sure the Haitians know it is our last day of the medical clinic as well as holding VBS. Saturdays are market days and Sundays are for church, so everyone's work must be completed by Friday.

Because it is our last day, the desperation of the people is intense. They are desperate for a doctor to examine them or their child. They are extremely anxious that it may not happen because of the limited number of people we can see in a day. I would be that desperate too if I were in their shoes. Seeing the people on Friday always brings me back to the New Testament story of Jesus being sought after by the crowds. The Bible says that he saw the crowd and had compassion on them because they were helpless, like sheep without a shepard.

At the end of the day on Friday, the reality is that we have to turn people away. We can't say to them that we can see them tomorrow. It is our last day. It's hard--very hard! The reality of the situation always takes its toll on the team.

I don't mean at all to say it wasn't a good day. It was a good day with lots of laughter and play and stronger relationships because of Jesus. One of my favorite "pictures" of the day came when I was walking back over to the medical clinic. I glanced over at the basketball court and saw a group of our guys gathered in a circle with some children. They were praying! I love that! After they prayed, they played a great game of basketball. Finding little moments like that, when our team is sharing faith and Jesus with our Haitian brothers and sisters, makes the difficulties of turning people away a little less painful.

Today was a hard day! Today was a great day!

Devotion for today: 2 Timothy 3:10-17, talking about staying strong in the Word of God especially in preparation for the times of persecution that are sure to come.

Creole Lesson #5: Pa Pale Creole = I don't speak Creole!

More tomorrow!

Lisa :)
On behalf to January Team Haiti

4 comments:

  1. wow! beautiful account of the day Lisa. Say hi to everybody. I'm sure E is being a blessing, since that's what he does :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This update was so moving. I have been following the blog daily and praying. I am looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing the update when you all return.
    Sara Cox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and poignant. I will pray that the work you and God began (and continued from past trips) will continue in the hearts and minds of our team and our friends in Merotte. Blessings to you today and tomorrow as you reflect on all God is doing and as you enjoy his beautiful creation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though you are back, I was so moved by your words Lisa. Thanks for your love and dedication.

    ReplyDelete