Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Key Word Number 1

Whether you are one of the 27 embarking on the Haiti adventure on January 1 or whether you are someone interested and connected in some way to our mission work there, I want to share with you the three words I believe are key for anyone who desires to have servant eyes. Today, I'll share the first of the three words, which happens to be where God has done the most work on me. I believe that if we grasp the concept of this word, it has the potential to be transformational in our lives and in the way we see others. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it as well, so feel free to post a comment.

Incarnational
As God places us in situations where we have opportunity to serve someone else, think about what it might be like to walk in the shoes of the person or people you are serving. Jesus set the example for us. His ministry was incarnate in that He walked among us. He knew exactly what it was like to be hungry, tired, tempted, sad, angry, etc. He lived among us.

When I hear a Haitian child say to me perhaps the only English phrase they might know, "Give me one dollar.", I could get frustrated. I could be bothered. I could pass judgement and may even think, "How dare she demand I give her money." But if I am trying to understand her world, compassion fills my heart. The chances are not only has she not eaten that day, but also no one in her family has had any food. With an American dollar she can buy a loaf of bread and some rice.

When we try to understand what others are experiencing or what may have brought them to the point where they are asking for help, our hearts are in a better position to love them.

Learning to Serve,

Lisa :)

No comments:

Post a Comment